Postgraduate Certificate in Education Intermediate Phase Teaching (minimum 135 Credits)
The aim of this programme is to respond to the increased need for professional educators in South Africa. The Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), Intermediate Phase (IP) is for students who want to qualify as professional educators in the Intermediate Phase after having completed an appropriate three-year degree or recognised national diploma.
Peter B. Pedersen has wide experience in education at primary, secondary and tertiary levels. He is passionate about seeing students develop their potential and excel in the classroom as teachers. His professional experience includes two decades of teacher training, coupled with school teaching and administration.
A bachelor’s degree or approved 360 credit diploma at NQF 6. The prior qualification must provide a broad knowledge base adequate for teaching in the intermediate phase (IP) i.e. English, Afrikaans and two IP teaching subjects, at first or second year degree level. The IP teaching subjects are Mathematics, Science and Technology, Social Science and Life Skills. Holders of focused qualifications that do not have specialisations in IP subjects can register simultaneously for BA teaching subjects. This will extend the PGCE beyond one year of study. BA subjects offered at Cornerstone to undergird Life Skills are psychology, counselling, philosophy, sociology, leadership, theology and biblical studies and to undergird Mathematics, research methods and statistics.
PGCE Programme Time Commitment
Minimum one year, maximum five years full-time or part-time. The programme includes both January and July intakes
Tuition Cost (click here)
All the modules are offered online via live tutorials and an online support platform. All assessment take place via assignments – no exams form part of the Intermediate Phase PGCE programme
Intermediate Phase Programme Subjects:
Study of Education & its Foundations
- Educational Psychology
- History of Education
- Philosophy of Education
General Pedagogical Knowledge
- Instructional Methods
- Conversational isiXhosa
- English First Language Didactics
- First Additional Language Didactics (English and Afrikaans)
- Fundamental Numeracy
Didactics Electives (choose 2)
- Life Skills Didactics
- Mathematics Didactics
- Science and Technology Didactics
- Social Science Didactics
- Education and Ethics in Social Context
- Study Praxis/Classroom Management
- Teaching Practice A, B, C: this takes place in 3 different South African schools
Please click here for module descriptions and credits.
Subjects offered at Cornerstone in 2018 outside the PGCE that provide a broad knowledge base adequate for teaching in the Intermediate Phase:
- For English: English for Education (12 credits, NQF 5)
- For Afrikaans: Afrikaans vir Onderwys (12 credits, NQF 5)
- For Mathematics:
- Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics (16 credits, NQF 6, from BA Psychology II);
- Research Methods and Statistics (12 credits, NQF 7, from BA Psychology III)
- For Life Skills: One module from the following BA subjects:
- Psychology I or Counselling I and one module from the following BA subjects:
- Philosophy I or Sociology I (NQF 5)
Registered as Cornerstone Institute (RF) NPC with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education institution under the Higher Education Act, 1997, Registration Certificate No 2001/HE08/006; NQF 7; SAQA ID 99724.