Postgraduate Certificate in Education Intermediate Phase
(Recommended completion time two years part-time; minimum completion time one year full-time; maximum four years part-time; minimum 135 credits)
- A candidate must have complied with all the requirements of a bachelor’s degree (or an approved diploma of minimum 360 credits at NQF level 6) from a public or private higher education institution accredited by a recognised local or foreign accrediting body before the beginning of the academic year for which he/she has been selected. The prior bachelor’s degree (or approved national diploma) must provide a broad knowledge base adequate for teaching in the intermediate phase (IP) i.e. English, Afrikaans and two IP teaching subjects, at NQF level 6 (university degree studies at second-year level). The IP teaching subjects are mathematics, science and technology, social science and life skills
- Conversational competency in an official African language (Conversational isiXhosa is offered as a 5-credit module for those without this competency)
- Holders of multidisciplinary degrees (or approved diplomas) without a main focus in a single field related to teaching could be allowed into the programme, provided that the disciplines underpin the learning requirements for the IP and the subjects to be taught are taken to at least NQF level 6 (with a minimum of 30 credit weighting over a minimum of two semesters)
- Holders of focused degrees (or approved diplomas) that lack an adequately broad knowledge base or an adequate specialisation in IP subjects may be required to enrol simultaneously in teaching subjects (minimum NQF 6) whilst enrolling for the PGCE IP.
- See below for the subjects offered at Cornerstone that can be taken to meet entrance requirements, if necessary.
Students who have completed this qualification must be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in reading, writing and speaking the language/s of instruction in ways that facilitate their own academic learning and learning in their classrooms
- Demonstrate competence in interpreting and using numerical and elementary statistical knowledge to facilitate their own academic learning, and manage teaching, learning and assessment
- Demonstrate competence with regard to the knowledge base underpinning the learning areas or subjects they will be teaching
- In their area/s of specialisation (intermediate phase and subject/learning area), demonstrate competence in planning, designing, and reflecting on learning programmes appropriate for their learners and learning context
- In their area of specialisation, demonstrate competence in selecting, using and adjusting teaching and learning strategies in ways that meet the needs of learners and the context
- Demonstrate competence in managing and administering learning environments and supporting learners in ways that are sensitive, stimulating, democratic and well organised
- Demonstrate competence in monitoring and assessing learner progress and achievement in their specialisation
- Demonstrate that they can function responsibly within the education system, the institution where they are working, and the community in which the institution is located
- Demonstrate a respect for and commitment to the educator profession.
EXTERNAL SUBJECTS FOR TEACHING IN PGCE IP
Subjects offered at Cornerstone in 2022 outside the PGCE IP that provide a broad subject content knowledge base adequate for teaching in the Intermediate Phase are listed below.
- English for Education (NQF 6)
- Afrikaans for Education (NQF 6)
students must demonstrate the required minimum subject content and knowledge in mathematics or alternatively in statistics:
- Statistics for Education (NQF 6)
students must demonstrate the required minimum subject content and knowledge in a combination of at least two fields, of which one must be Psychology. Students without the necessary pre-existing subject content and knowledge should enrol for the following in our BA programme:
- Psychology taken to at least NQF level 6
- Sociology taken to at least NQF level 6
No subjects are offered at Cornerstone in the field of Social Science Didactics.
PGCE in Intermediate Phase Teaching (NQF 7)
- Conversational isiXhosa (5 credits)
- English First Language Didactics
- First Additional Language Didactics (English)
- First Additional Language Didactics (Afrikaans)
- Fundamental Numeracy (If Mathematics not taken)
Module descriptions and credits
For a description of each module, see ‘Module descriptions’ towards the end of this document.