Presented by Dr Serahni Symington
Registered Counsellor & Senior Psychology Lecturer, Hosted by the Department of Psychology, Cornerstone Institute
WHAT WILL BE COVERED IN THE WORKSHOP? Some of the content will include:
- The current bullying and cyberbullying statistics across the world and specifically South Africa
- Defining and understanding cyberbullying: platforms and various types of bullying
- Online spaces where bullying often occurs
- Psychological impact of bullying on the developing child and teen
- Developmental stages of childhood – why teens are such a magnet for bullying
- Publication laws and legal considerations
- How to address bullying from systemic perspective
- Tips for teens and parents in fighting bullying
ABOUT THE PRESENTER: Serahni Symington started her studies at the University of Stellenbosch with a BA degree, majoring in psychology and language, followed by a BA Honours in Psychology at the same institution. She started teaching at a high school in the northern suburbs of Cape Town while doing a Post Graduate Certificate in Senior Phase Education. In 2008 she was accepted into a Masters programme focusing on children and adolescents; Play Therapy. She was awarded cum laude for her Masters and was accepted into the PhD Psychology programme at North West University in 2010. Her research and dissertation focused on developing a psycho-educational website for adolescents regarding safe internet use. She was a secondary school teacher for 7 years, as well as in part time practice assisting families and parents. Currently she practices as a registered counsellor at various schools; along with part time lecturing in Psychology and practicing in her own practice.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CPD POINTS IS WITH THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA (HPCSA).
Spaces are limited please book early to avoid disappointment, for further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (021) 448 0050 ext. 2229
Date: Tuesday, 3 July 9:30 am – 3:30 pm (registration starts 9:00 am)
Venue: Cornerstone Institute, Cnr. of Durham and Victoria Roads Salt River
Costs: The registration fee for the workshop is R800 pp. person. Light Lunch and refreshments will be served. (Cornerstone students pay a discounted fee).
CPD points: 5 CPD points with HPCSA If you would like to attend, kindly complete the attached Registration Form and email it to email@example.com by Thursday, 28 June 2018.